Far North District

Waimate North

Waimate North is a city in Far North District. So far we have accumulated 5 streets in Waimate North and on these streets we have added 67 real estate properties.

Waimate North
External territories
Northland
City Councils
Far North District
City
Waimate North
  • Waimate North is a small settlement in Northland, New Zealand. It is situated between Kerikeri and Lake Omapere, west of the Bay of Islands. Okuratope Pa was situated here and was the home to chief Te Hotete (father of Hongi Hika) of the Ngai Tawake hapu in the late 18th-early 19th centuries. A major disturbance took place here in 1800, when an attacking Ngare Raumati war party from Te Rawhiti murdered and ate chief Te Maoi's wife, Te Auparo as well as their daughter, Te Karehu. This led to revenge attacks, which lasted over two decades; and resulted in the comprehensive defeat of the Ngare Raumati and the conquest of their lands by Ngapuhi (including Te Maoi and Te Auparo's three chiefly sons; Te Wharerahi, Rewa, and Moka 'Kainga-mataa'. It was one of the earliest centres of European settlement and features the second-oldest surviving European building in New Zealand, at Te Waimate mission. The first European wedding in New Zealand was conducted on 11 October 1831 at the St John the Baptist church, when William Gilbert Puckey (26), son of a Missionary carpenter, William Puckey, married Matilda Elizabeth Davis (17), second daughter of the Missionary Rev. Richard Davis.During the Flagstaff War (1845-1846) casualties of the Battle of Ohaeawai were buried in the church yard of Church of St John the Baptist. The mission station was used as the headquarters for the British army, after which the mission lost support among Maori. The mission station gradually fell into disrepair and the buildings were subsequently put up for sale. Today the only remnant on the site is the house originally occupied by George Clarke, which is preserved by the New Zealand Historic Places Trust as a museum. The existing St John the Baptist church at Waimate North was built in 1871. Waimate North Christian School closed in 2005.