Far North District
Ohaeawai is a city in Far North District. So far we have accumulated 5 streets in Ohaeawai and on these streets we have added 78 real estate properties.
- External territories
- City Councils
- Far North District
Ohaeawai is a small village at the junction of State Highway 1 and State Highway 12 in the Far North District of New Zealand, some 250 km from Auckland. The town of Kaikohe is 10.4 km to the west and the Bay of Islands is a short drive to the east. Nearby is the site of the bloody Battle of Ohaeawai fought at Pene Taui's pa during the Flagstaff War in 1845. The therapeutic mercurial waters of the minor health spa of Ngawha Springs are in a small thermal area to the west, where Northland prison is situated. The village is the centre of a rich farming district as a result of the fertile volcanic soils, with the district known to the Ngapuhi as Tai-a-mai. Taiamai was the name give to a large boulder of volcanic rock situated about 400 metres south east of the Ohaeawai hotel. This prominent rock stands about 3.5 metres high, and was formerly an uruuru whenua, a place where travellers recited a charm and placed a small offering, such as a branch or tuft of grass, in order to placate the spirits of that place. In 1845 Te Ruki Kawiti and Pene Taui fortified Taui's pa which British forces laid siege to in July that year. The outcome of the Battle of Ohaeawai is considered to be a defeat of the British colonial forces. St. Michael's Anglican Church was built in 1870 on the site of the pa. St. Michael's Anglican Church is 7.2 km from Kaikohe and 3.2 from the township of Ohaeawai, situated on a gentle rise a short distance west of the main road. The locality is usually called Ngawha, from the hot springs in the neighbourhood. Cowan (1922) asserts that the site of the church (and earlier pa) is the true Ohaeawai and the European township which has appropriated the name should properly be known as Taiamai. The 2006 New Zealand Census of Population and Dwellings recorded Ohaeawai's population as 711, a decrease of 15 people since the 2001 census.